“Booking Through Thursday” #1 In or Out?

Each week “Booking Through Thursday” poses a unique question to fans and visitors – mostly things related to books and reading.  Bloggers post the question and answer on their page and include their link in the comment box.  Not all questions are book-related and you don’t have to have a blog to participate – just leave your response in the comment box.

Do you consider yourself an extrovert or an introvert?

Really depends on who you ask or when but since I have to answer I’ll go with introvert, mostly.  I’m an extrovert at work because the military demands it of me and I tend to let loose with my close friends and family.  Outside of those situations I am an introvert.  I don’t like large crowds and am quite content hiking a remote trail or claiming a quiet section of beach.  Not a fan of rock concerts or big parties but have no problems attending more intimate gatherings.  I’ll take a mom and pop diner over a bustling high-end restaurant but that’s because I’m not a fan of noise or lines.  My love of reading probably has a lot to do with my introverted nature – it’s the quiet time delving into a great story that allows my imagination to flow.  So I’ll embrace my inner introvertness and only be “out there” when I must.

Which are you?  Leave your link and/or response.

About these ads

, , , ,

1. #1 by Caro @ Ds Bookworld on May 10, 2012 - 10:31 am

Great post, thanks for sharing! =) I definitively agree with you that it depends on the situation and who you’re with. I admit that the larger the crowd, the less I do, because there’s enough other people talking already. I listen, but only for so long. I do get bored with that easily – then I have to get me a book! x)
    Thanks for stepping by! =)

• #2 by tcabn on May 10, 2012 - 1:08 pm

Thank you Caro – I think it’s a pretty common trait with the “book people”

2. #3 by Cathy on May 10, 2012 - 12:35 pm

Really great answer, I hate crowds too. Thanks for stopping by!

3. #4 by Kelley on May 10, 2012 - 12:54 pm

I’ve been told over and over again that I am an extrovert. But I have to tell you that I feel most comfortable doing just the sort of activities you describe. I don’t like crowds very much anymore. I feel trapped and stressed. I am more outward at school but when I go to the library or the student union, I look for the quiet tables. I guess the key for me is to find a balance between the two.

• #5 by tcabn on May 10, 2012 - 1:03 pm

Boils down to what feels right

4. #6 by Michael on May 10, 2012 - 2:14 pm

Like you, I can be a bit of both.

Unless we’re discussing Doctor Who and then I will totally be THAT guy…LOL

5. #7 by laurelrainsnow on May 10, 2012 - 2:22 pm

I’m definitely a situational “in” or “out” kind of person. My career demanded the “out,” but I recharged my batteries at home, curled up to read or watch TV. But then I might just as easily recharge in a crowded bar, dancing….

Here’s MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

6. #8 by Megan Monell on May 10, 2012 - 3:17 pm

Great answer. I think it’s great when a job can make you come out of your comfort zone a little bit. I think most people enjoy the company of others, but introverts tend to recharge alone or in small gatherings. I can definitely relate. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

7. #9 by DawnTreader on May 10, 2012 - 3:54 pm

I think most of us have both sides to a degree. :)

8. #11 by Book Nympho on May 10, 2012 - 4:06 pm

I’ve found that the older I get, the less I like being in crowds or really noisy places. But I think it has less to do with being around people and more to do with the fact that I’m over the cool factor. When I was younger I’d go places and do things just because everyone else was doing it and it was cool to say you went to a certain club at the weekend, for example. Now I have a stronger sense of self and do what I want and don’t care what anyone thinks. I love spending time with other people, meeting new people, and sometimes I crave the energy of a crowd, so I’d say I’m a bit more extroverted, but I definitely have an introvert side too. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

• #12 by tcabn on May 10, 2012 - 5:15 pm

I think that we’re seeing that, if nothing else, we do what makes us comfortable. I’m really surprised that there aren’t more folks going with extrovert. Read a post earlier tonight that talked about the paradox for an author. On one hand you spend a lot of time alone to work and think but on the other hand you put so much of yourself out there through the story. Interesting thought.

At any rate – thanks so much for stopping in and posting. Great comments

9. #13 by Margaret K (@bellasera) on May 10, 2012 - 4:37 pm

You know, I never gave my bookworm nature being a part of my introverted nature. I suspect that you might be right about that. Reading is an introverted activity and I’ve been a reader since I could hold a book.

• #14 by tcabn on May 10, 2012 - 5:11 pm

Like you I stick with what I love – reading for pleasure and making no apologies – thanks for dropping in Margaret

10. #15 by Karen @ Scobberlotch on May 10, 2012 - 5:02 pm

Like so many commenters today, I am in the category of introverts who push themselves to be out there when necessary, but get recharged by spending quiet time with a close few friends or alone with a good book. First time to your blog. Think I’ll look around, but in a completely introverted way.

• #16 by tcabn on May 10, 2012 - 5:10 pm

I can quietly say that I’m glad you stopped by Karen. I’ll go back to my book while you browse and I do sincerely appreciate the post.

11. #17 by Patricia @ Lady with Books on May 10, 2012 - 9:52 pm

Like you, with close friends I’m very different then I am with people I don’t know as well. I love a small gathering where you don’t have to fight to be heard or keep someone’s attention. And, well, I’m a very happy drunk and all the world is lovely with enough alcohol. Mostly I’d like to be home with a good book, movie, or working on a project. (I craft and paint too.) Oh, military? I’m pretty sure that would overwhelm me. A lot of people with strong personalities.

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog!

12. #18 by Gigi Ann on May 11, 2012 - 12:05 pm

First off, let me thank you for the visit to my post. I like your answer, it is more or less my thoughts, although I’m not military.

13. #19 by Shenell on May 11, 2012 - 5:14 pm

Thank you for visiting my blog! And I must agree with you, it all depends on who you’re around. it is much easier to let loose when your with close family and friends.

14. #20 by WutheringWillow on May 12, 2012 - 4:15 am

Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog!

My answer is also similar. I am an extrovert when I have to be (at work) and with my immediate family and friends but other wise I am an introvert.

15. #21 by Hazel on May 12, 2012 - 4:27 am

Hiking a remote trail? That sounds quite charming to me. It’s when I read that I am on introvert mode and I love it. Thanks for dropping by my nook. Your comment went to spam but I’m glad I found it.